Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guitar thingy

4 posters

:: Off topic

Go down

Guitar thingy Empty Guitar thingy

Post  Sean Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Hey there,

Well, recently I was watching Metallica's documentary and I just got curious about how Krik Hammett holds his pick. It just came in my mind that some of you guys are into guitar stuff and may clear out my doubt? I tried searching but didn't get any good results. Also, could you mention your own picking style as I don't take any classes or tutorials so, that may come handy to me.

Thanks.
Sean
Sean
Furie
Furie

Number of posts : 174
Job/hobbies : Spamming random Guitar notes.
Name In-Game : [EAF]Sean
Registration date : 2014-06-13

Back to top Go down

Guitar thingy Empty Re: Guitar thingy

Post  Klaus Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:20 pm

I have never heard of anyone say Kirk's picking technique is out of ordinary. I double checked though and had a little look myself and found that really there is nothing strange about it. The way he picks and holds his pick is completely normal.

Now if you was to ask the same about ex-Megadeth's Marty Friedman it's a completely different story. He is well renown for his unique and almost unimaginable picking technique which is just illogical from a musicians point of view. He just has a natural way that works for pretty much only him. Don't try to imitate it.

About how I hold the pick myself, it's not really different from what you'll see from most guitarists. The pick between my index and thumb, with thumb pretty much in line with the neck and index pointing inwards.
Klaus
Klaus
Groupie
Groupie

Awards : Survivor Award 2011
Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Klaus wrote:About how I hold the pick myself, it's not really different from what you'll see from most guitarists. The pick between my index and thumb, with thumb pretty much in line with the neck and index pointing inwards.

That's the same way I hold my pick. So, that means I'm playing in correct way so far. Thanks alot.
Sean
Sean
Furie
Furie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:22 am

Hello again

I'm having some doubts regarding guitar scales. I've tried searching but they don't tell why are they necessary, they just post tab diagram and list all the notes played in the tab. I've heard people talk "this song is played in Bminor scale" but I don't know what that means.
Does that means every song has to be played in a particular scale? And only those chords can be used which are notes of that particular scale?
Sean
Sean
Furie
Furie

Back to top Go down

Post  Alarba Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:39 pm

A musical scale is pretty much a way to arrange musical notes. If the song is in the Bminor scale you should be playing the notes and the chords that correspond to that scale ( which you can look up on the internet )
Alarba
Alarba
EAF Warlord
EAF Warlord

Awards : Fists of Fury Award 2011
Number of posts : 352
Job/hobbies : Mastering the guitar, and physics.
Name In-Game : [EAF]Alarba
Registration date : 2010-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:09 pm

Just curious, what scale do most rock/heavy metal bands use while soloing? Judas Priest I mean, in particular. Anyone's got any idea?
Sean
Sean
Furie
Furie

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaus Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Klaus
Klaus
Groupie
Groupie

Back to top Go down

Post  Alarba Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:30 pm

The minor scale and the minor pentatonic scale are the most used scales in rock/metal.
Alarba
Alarba
EAF Warlord
EAF Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  JackDawZ Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:19 am

Sup, guys, I know you had some experience of recording a guitar. I tried to do that via connecting my guitar to my laptop, but unfortunately due to weakness of it, the sound was playing with a delay of 0.5s and was very noisy, when overdriven. Now I'm trying to build a new pc, what do I have to buy for home recording. I don't need an ideal sound, so don't expect me to go for something expensive, I want to hear something listenable to finally start working on what I planned earlier. Also did anyone try to record via combo amp and PC? How can that be possible?
JackDawZ
JackDawZ
Felon
Felon

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaus Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:49 pm

I like to record straight from the amp. I set a mic up (SM57) against the amp and have that plugged into the PC.
Klaus
Klaus
Groupie
Groupie

Back to top Go down

Post  Alarba Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:47 pm

Klaus wrote:I like to record straight from the amp. I set a mic up (SM57) against the amp and have that plugged into the PC.
What kind of audio interface is the Shure connected to? Or are you using some XLR to USB adapter?
Alarba
Alarba
EAF Warlord
EAF Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaus Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:15 am

Alarba wrote:
Klaus wrote:I like to record straight from the amp. I set a mic up (SM57) against the amp and have that plugged into the PC.
What kind of audio interface is the Shure connected to?
Tascam US-122MKII. It's pretty lame in all honesty but was able to pick one up for super cheap at my local music store. It does the job. I want to replace it pretty soon with a BOSS effects pedal.
Klaus
Klaus
Groupie
Groupie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down